Sunday 30 October 2011

Chicken Noodle Soup

When I was younger my family always used to get chicken noodle soup from the local kosher restaurant, and I'm not going lie I really liked it, but I always found it too salty. I think the idea came to me maybe last winter to make some for myself and it actually worked really well, and I don't know what's in it that does this, but it always seems to make people better when they've got one of those winter bugs. And, as is the case with all soups, it lasts for ages, so you can always just cover it up and put it in the fridge, and the next time you want some, just pour yourself a bowl and heat it up!

This recipe is really flexible, you can have more or less noodles, different veggies, smaller or larger chunks of chicken, etc.. I used purple carrots in this soup as opposed to your normal orange ones simply because I saw them in the fridge and decided that they looked cool (they do). In hindsight, it probably would have been a better idea to have used the normal carrots, as my soup turned out purple and, though it still tasted just as yummy, it looked slightly less appetising and I felt like Bridget Jones cooking her blue soup.

Chicken Noodle Soup

Serves 4-6

Bare Necessities:
Noodles (About one portion should be fine, add more if you want)
1 Onion
a dash Oil
a pinch Salt
1 litre Chicken Stock/ Stock Cubes (Enough to make 1 litre of stock, for me that was 2 cubes, read the back of the package to find out)
2 cups/250g Chicken (cooked. If you don't have any cooked chicken, just fry it in a tiny bit of oil and slice it up first.)
1 Carrot


1. Put a dash of oil and a pinch of salt in a saucepan with some water and bring to boiling.
2. Put in the noodles and cook them for the time that i says on the back of the packet, but I personally would cook them slightly underdone, because they will continue to cook when you put them in with the rest of the soup.
3. Combine 1 litre of boiling water with the stock cubes, but if your using stock instead of stock cubes, ignore this step.
4. Finely dice the onion. (Tip: What makes you cry when you chop up onions is the vapour from the centre of the onion. Once you've chopped the onion in half, put it face down. This not only makes it easier to cut, but it helps prevent as many of the vapours get to your eyes.)
5. Fry the onions until golden brown with a dash of oil in a saucepan.
6. Once the onions are golden, add the chicken stock and bring to the boil and then reduce the heat so that it simmers.
7. Finely slice the Carrot.
8. Put the chopped carrot into the stock.
9. Add the chicken.
10. Once the carrots are cooked, add the noodles and turn off the heat.
11. Serve up and enjoy!


Unless you use purple carrots, yours shouldn't be purple like mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment