Wednesday 2 November 2011

The Ultimate Beans On Toast

Ok, I know what you're thinking, 'Beans on toast? Why the hell
Is THAT on a cooking blog? It's quite possibly the easiest thing to cook!' Well, if you thought that, then you clearly missed out a key word in the title, 'ultimate'. Yes, I would even say that these beans on toast are arguably THE BEST beans on toast you will EVER try! (unless of course you don't like baked beans, in which case you probably won't like them)
I used to have beans every so often when I was little, but then I went through a period of my life where I just didn't really want them. It wasn't until recently (last Easter in fact), when I joined the most awesome sailing club, that I reignited my love for them. The sailing club that I go to is called Theta, and it is run by under 25-year-old's. We sail toppers and wayfarers, with the occasional row in bumface, affectionately nicknamed bumboat. We all stay on a houseboat with no electricity or running water, so no fridges or showers; and so, as you can imagine, the food rarely gets too exotic (unless of course one of the people with you that week lived abroad for some time, and so one night you might get a delicious curry for dinner). However, most meals were quite simple, and so we often had beans for breakfast or dinner, slapped together with whatever there was lying around. It was then that I realized just how good beans could taste, and so, when I got home, I was determined to make my mother be graced by the same epiphany.

After several tries I had finally gotten the recipe fine tuned to just how I liked it and, even though when describing this glorious meal of simplicity to my friends I got some less than impressed faces, I decided that is was definitely good enough to be photographed and shown to all you out there who are reading this.

Yet another über flexible recipe, you can have a small tin, an extra tin, one piece of toast instead of two, one chili or three chillies, or no chillies at all! (though I personally advise it, as it adds that slight pazazz to what could have the danger of being a boring or bland dish)

The Ultimate Beans On Toast
Serves 2-3 (quite big portions)

Bare Necessities:
 
1 tin Baked Beans
1-2 Chilies (depending on how big they are)
a squirt Ketchup
one packet Mozzarella
2-6 pieces Bread (depending on how many pieces everyone wants)
about 4 slices Cheddar
a dash Oil
Butter (to spread your toast)


1. Finely slice and dice the chilies and fry in the saucepan with a little bit of oil.
2. Once the chilies go brown (but not burnt), turn the heat down to the lowest and add the beans.
3. Stir the beans until they start simmering.
4. Add the ketchup, mozzarella and cheddar and stir until everything has melted.
5. Toast the bread and spread with the desired amount of butter.
6. Pour on the beans and enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. That looks incredible. I eat beans at least five times a week, and have never seen bean on toast. Now that I have a clue, I'm making that.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Beans are just so easy to do, it's hard to screw them up, and that's why it's so much fun spicing them up in new ways! I have a friend who likes to put a bit of Worcester sauce in hers (I'm not really a fan, but she likes it!). I like putting cheese with the beans because it makes them really yummy and stringy.
      Aoife xxx

      Delete