Sunday 25 December 2011

Christmas Morning Pancakes

Well, here it is at last. Christmas day! Though some in my family are less happy about the "early" rise of 8'o'clock in the morning, I am never phased by this and so I found myself rising at 7 to make American pancakes as a surprise treat for my mother. She then came downstairs about 5 minutes after me and proceeded to bid me good morning and merry Christmas and tell me how she had been awake since 4. Some surprise, huh. Nevertheless, she was very happy and left me to cook in the kitchen.


In the midst of the present unwrapping madness, whilst my dog was shredding a paper bag, my brother was saying his hands were far too greasy to touch his new clothes and my mother was getting all emotional from the necklace that her boyfriend had given her, I was unwrapping my last present: the big box that had been sitting under the tree for almost a week, and I was overjoyed when I found out what it was; an Ice-cream machine! Well, the Gaggia Gelatiera Ice-cream machine to be precise, paired with two books solely dedicated to the making of ice-cream, sorbet and the like.


Lucky for me, this recipe required very little milk, as we are currently running out almost every other day due to my brother's constant eating, and so there was only just enough for the pancakes and a few cups of tea and coffee.


Sadly, they didn't last long enough for me to take many pictures, as they were quickly snatched away by eager hands; I was lucky to even get one! However, I did manage to get a few pictures, so you can get the picture (haha witty me! ... never mind)


So, all that is left for me to do here is give you the recipe and wish you all a wonderful holiday, whatever you may be celebrating, a fantastic new year, and I hope that you join in with all the festivities!


American Pancakes


Bare Necessities
2 Medium Eggs
150ml/1/2cup and 2tbsp Milk
50g Butter (salted is best, but if you're using unsalted butter, just add a pinch or two of salt to the batter)
110g/just over 1cup Plain Flour
10g Caster Sugar
2tsp Baking Powder


1. Slowly melt the butter. Once melted, add the milk whilst still keeping it on a low heat, then leave to butter-milk mixture to cool.
2. Separate the eggs.
3. Beat the yolks and then add the milk and butter.
4. Combine the yolk mixture with the flour, sugar and baking powder and mix until a smooth batter.
5. Whisk the egg whites to a soft peak and then gently fold in with the batter.
6. Melt a tiny bit of butter on a frying pan. (if you are using a non-stick pan then I would leave this step out as there is already enough butter in the batter.)
7. Fry the batter in small amounts at a time, I could fit about three at a time on my frying pan without them joining together.
8. Serve up with your favourite topping and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment