Nb. This makes a LOT of fudge, so go ahead and halve it, or even quarter it!
Creamy Vanilla Fudge
10oz/280g/1 1/4cups Unsalted Butter
1tin (396g) Sweetened Condensed Milk
7fl.oz/220ml Whole Milk
1125g/40oz/5cups Granulated Sugar
|This is what happens if|
you don't use a big
enough pan at first!
2. In THE BIGGEST saucepan you have, combine the butter, condensed milk, milk and sugar, and put it on the heat.
3. Use a candy thermometer, and when the temperature reaches 115C, use a wooden spoon, and start stirring constantly until it reaches what's called the soft ball stage. This is where, if you drop a little drop of the mixture into a glass of cold water, and then dip your hand into the water, you can easily roll the mixture into a ball under the water.
4. Once you've reached this stage, remove the fudge from the heat, add the vanilla essence and beat constantly for about 7mins or until the mixture becomes tougher and more fudge-like.
5. Pour the fudge into your tins and pop in the fridge.
6. After about 1 and a half hours, take out the fudge and lightly score the lines which you'll cut along later.
7. Put the fudge back into the fridge and leave there until they are completely set. (If you take them out before then, they will be a NIGHTMARE to take out)
8. Once they are set, cut them up and put in an air-tight container. (I separated each layer with a sheet of grease-proof paper, so they don't all stick) You're not supposed to store fudge in the fridge, but my house if really warm, so I have to, but if you have somewhere cool in your house that isn't the fridge, store them there.