Tuesday 29 May 2012

Creamy Vanilla Fudge

I'm such a sucker for fudge. I love pretty much any kind of fudge, I just can't get enough. Except once I tried chilli chocolate fudge, but they had used the wrong kind of chilli, so it tasted a bit like a sweet curry. It was all kinds of funky and I most certainly could go without that one. But apart from that one instance, I don't think I've encountered a flavour of fudge that I don't love. Either way, here is a recipe for, what I think, is the best flavour fudge: Vanilla fudge.
Nb. This makes a LOT of fudge, so go ahead and halve it, or even quarter it!


Creamy Vanilla Fudge
Bare Necessities
10oz/280g/1 1/4cups Unsalted Butter
1tin (396g) Sweetened Condensed Milk
7fl.oz/220ml Whole Milk
1125g/40oz/5cups Granulated Sugar
1tsp Vanilla


This is what happens if
you don't use a big
enough pan at first!
1. Grease and line your tins.
2. In THE BIGGEST saucepan you have, combine the butter, condensed milk, milk and sugar, and put it on the heat.
3. Use a candy thermometer, and when the temperature reaches 115C, use a wooden spoon, and start stirring constantly until it reaches what's called the soft ball stage. This is where, if you drop a little drop of the mixture into a glass of cold water, and then dip your hand into the water, you can easily roll the mixture into a ball under the water.
4. Once you've reached this stage, remove the fudge from the heat, add the vanilla essence and beat constantly for about 7mins or until the mixture becomes tougher and more fudge-like.
5. Pour the fudge into your tins and pop in the fridge.
6. After about 1 and a half hours, take out the fudge and lightly score the lines which you'll cut along later.
7. Put the fudge back into the fridge and leave there until they are completely set. (If you take them out before then, they will be a NIGHTMARE to take out)
8. Once they are set, cut them up and put in an air-tight container. (I separated each layer with a sheet of grease-proof paper, so they don't all stick) You're not supposed to store fudge in the fridge, but my house if really warm, so I have to, but if you have somewhere cool in your house that isn't the fridge, store them there.
9. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I love fudge!! I have yet to make some yet, but this is giving me ideas :)

    Karen
    www.sugarthesky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, it's definitely worth it! Though if you're not sure, just make a smaller batch and as long as you keep the same proportions, you should be good to go!
      Aoife X

      Delete
  2. Hey. I found you over on the blog-train. Just wanted to stop by and say Hi..
    and also, this recipe looks amazing!!!

    Have a great day!

    -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for stopping by and commenting, I love new visitors! Have a fab day too!
      Aoife X

      Delete